Angkor Thom is the last and longest capital of the Khmer Empire, was restored and expanded in the late twelfth century. Located in the area of 9 sqkm, Angkor Thom has many temples from the previous period as well as the temples which were built by Jayavarman and his successors. At the center of the complex is Jayavarman’s temple, the Bayon, with other relics clustered around the temple.
There is a gate in each direction East, West, South, and North. The ways lead to the Bayon – the city center. The South Gate of Angkor Thom is located 7.2 km north of Siem Reap city, the gateway to Angkor Wat 1.7 km to the north. The wall built of laterite with 8 m high, 3 km long, surrounded by moat. The last temple was built at Angkor Thom is Mangalartha, completed in 1295. In the next centuries, Angkor Thom was the capital of the kingdom during the period of decline until it was abandoned before 1609.